Healthy Halloween: A Contradiction in Terms?
Healthy Halloween may seem like a contradiction, but it doesn’t have to be. While Halloween is known for sugar-laden sweets, there are ways to enjoy the holiday without compromising on health.
Tips for a Healthier Halloween
- High-protein meal: Ensure that you and your children have a good high-protein meal before starting the loot gathering. This will help balance the scales on those sugary snacks.
- Avoid hydrogenated oils: Be sure not to get anything with hydrogenated oils.
- Healthy alternatives: Consider handing out Halloween treats that lean to the healthy side. You can call our office for more great recipes and tips.
Quick Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 box regular yellow or vanilla cake mix, 2-layer-size
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon corn oil
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup water or apple juice
- Canned low-fat vanilla frosting
- Candy corn
- Black or orange jelly beans
- Black licorice
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray each muffin cup with nonstick cooking spray or use paper cupcake liners.
- Blend the cake mix with the eggs, oil, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and the water or juice with mixer at low speed until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pan. Bake 18 minutes or until done. Cool in pan. Makes 18.